Monday, July 9, 2012

Drying & Preparing Graveyard Dirt

{Please note: I am not endorsing for folks to go raiding some random cemetery to take graveyard dirt from. To me this is a sensitive process, one that needs to be done with the utmost respect. I will likely write about this in greater detail in the future, something similar to the post I did on wildcrafting etiquette.} 

*********

I spent a bit of this morning preparing graveyard dirt for packaging. It was gathered from some graves of my Ancestors in the wee village cemetery, after digging some holes for rose and cedar transplants. I thought that I would share some of the process in case other folks were looking to do this themselves.


I hung the dirt in old t-shirts out in the sun for a few days to dry out. I brought the hangings in each evening so they wouldn't be covered in dew or be caught out in the rain.


I then sifted it to separate the finer dirt from roots, stones and balls of clay.


















Even though separated, both batches will be put to use. I like to use the bulkier bits in charms and such and the finer dirt is used in various magical concoctions.

I will be making some of the finer dirt available for purchase for folks who are not able to ethically acquire some for themselves. More information about this will be posted shortly.

Sláinte!

Laurel

2 comments:

  1. Will you be putting this on etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea that you are using all of it. No waste. I would be interested in buying some too.

    ReplyDelete