Saturday, December 21, 2013

Grianstad an Gheimhridh {The Winter Solstice}

 
I can't remember the last time I got up early to greet the sunrise during Midwinter. This is something I used to do as an eclectic neo-Pagan, and this is something that I still do for Midsummer. However, after being inspired by a few other Gaelic Polytheists, I figured I would drag my arse out of bed early to do so.
 
I walked down to the shore of Lake Nipissing waiting to for A'Ghrian to show herself, but she remained hidden under the cloud cover. So as the day started to get brighter, I recited a prayer that is found in Carmina Gadelica {volume 3}:
 
 
A'Ghrian

Fàilte ort féin a ghrian nan tràth,
'S tu siubhal ard nan speur ;

Do cheumaibh treun air sgeith nan ard,
'S tu màthair àigh nan reul.

Thu laighe sios an cuan na dith

Gun diobhail is gun sgàth ;
Thu 'g eirigh suas air stuagh na sith,

Mar rioghainn òg fo bhlàth
.
**********

The Sun
 
Hail to thee, thou sun of the seasons,

As thou traversest the skies aloft ;
Thy steps are strong on the wing of the heavens,

Thou art the glorious mother of the stars.

Thou liest down in the destructive ocean
Without impairment and without fear ;

Thou risest up on the peaceful wave-crest
Like a queenly maiden in bloom.
 
 
Afterwards I left some offerings to the land spirits and admired the pretty scenery before heading on home.

 
It is turning out to be a lovely day, which will be spent mostly indoors baking treats and getting ready for a devotional ritual to An Cailleach. I hope that you all enjoy the day however your decide to celebrate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment